Tryouts for the KC men's basketball team are open to anyone with college eligibility.
- When: Saturdays, May 14 & July 16, 2022
- Location: Masters Gymnasium (Kilgore campus)
- Time: Registration begins at Noon. Tryouts will begin at 1 p.m. (All CDC guidelines will be followed for social distancing, health and safety.)
- What to bring: Please wear rubber-soled basketball shoes, shorts and T-shirt to tryout. Water will be provided.
- Tryout results: Kilgore College coaches will evaluate the skills of each athlete who tries out. Athletes whom the coaches are interested in will be contacted via phone after the tryout. No decisions will be made on the day of the tryout.
Kilgore College is beginning a red shirt program for the 2016-17 school year.
What is the red shirt basketball program?
- This program is independent from the men’s basketball varsity program and will be run by the KC men's basketball assistant coaching staff.
- The KC Red Shirt Basketball Program is college-level basketball instruction for athletes and offers an opportunity for college experience without jeopardizing college eligibility. Student-athletes will be given the opportunity to improve, develop their skills and increase their basketball knowledge.
- Student-Athletes demonstrating excellence and a high level of commitment will be rewarded at the varsity level through practice with the women’s and men’s team and suiting up with the varsity team at home games. This will not jeopardize their future eligibility. Student-athletes must represent the program in a first-class manner on and off the court to remain in good standing.
- Red shirt program student-athletes will be required to maintain their own health insurance to cover athletic injuries that may arise.
What are the requirements to join the red shirt basketball program?
- Student-athletes must be enrolled at Kilgore College (minimum of 15 hours) and accepted into the red shirt program.
- Student-athletes must fill out the online application.
- Student-athletes must enroll in the basketball specific class(es) for the red shirt program.
What are the expectations of red shirt athletes?
- Student-athletes will be evaluated daily through practice, class participation, grades and overall contribution to the school community before being elevated to the varsity program.
- Student-athletes must maintain a positive relationship with the faculty, staff and administration on campus.
- Student-athletes are expected to maintain a positive relationship with peers, fellow teammates and coeds (on-campus, in the cafeteria, in housing, etc.)
- Student-athletes must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in classes.
- Student-athletes must attend all classes, study halls and practices.
- Student-athletes are subject to drug testing. Alcohol violations, drug abuse and dishonesty will not be tolerated.