Get help with academic advising and counseling:
Professional advisors provide a variety of services to students such as educational, career and short-term mental health counseling. Consultation is available on a walk-in basis most of the year; however, appointments are suggested. Counseling/advising centers are located on the second floor of the Devall Student Center in Kilgore and in the Hendrix building at KC-Longview.
Info about advising & registration during the COVID-19 pandemic:
Since students' health and success are KC's top priorities, the college has opened up remote avenues of advising & registration. Services related to advising and/or registraton are available to students by phone, online and by web request on both the Kilgore and KC-Longview campuses.
Scheduling/Advising for summer and/or fall classes on the Kilgore campus:
- Call (903) 983-8206 to schedule a video conference or telephone appointment.
- Appointments are available by video chat through Zoom or Google Hangouts. Utilizing video chat gives students the opportunity to be able to see the same screens (registration and degree audit) that advisors use during the advising session.
Scheduling/Advising for summer and/or fall classes at KC-Longview:
Currently, KC-Longview advising is not seeing any students face-to-face to keep in guidelines of the recommended social distancing recommendations.
- Call (903) 753-2642 to schedule a video conference or telephone appointment.
- Appointments by video chat are available through Zoom or Google Hangouts. Utilizing video chat gives students the opportunity to be able to see the same screens (registration and degree audit) that advisors use during the advising session.
- Make an appointment with QLess: Students can also schedule an advising/registration appointment through QLess by CLICKING HERE.
Students with disabilities:
Students who have disabilities, are academically or economically disadvantaged, are majoring in nontraditional programs for their gender, or have English as a second language are considered Special Populations. They should see Hollyann Davis, the Special Populations Counselor, for more information. Her office is on the second floor of the Devall Student Center. Call her administrative assistant at (903) 983-8206 or e-mail her for more information. Visit the Special Populations webpage.
Mental health counseling:
Kilgore College has licensed professional counselors available in the Devall Student Center, Kilgore, and the KC-Longview Hendrix building, Longview. These individuals are available for students needing short-term, non-therapeutic counseling.
There are also community agencies that serve mental health and intellectual disabilities in the East Texas area.
Mental health resources during the COVID-19 pandemic:
The outbreak of COVID-19 may be stressful for people and communities. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. This is normal! Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations.
If you or someone you know needs to talk with someone, here are some helpful resources:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line - Text HOME to 741741
- Crisis Text Line - Special keyword for students of color - Text STEVE to 741741
- COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line: 833-251-7544 **(If you are experiencing stress/anxiety related to current stateof emergency)
- National Parent Helpline at: 1-855-427-2736
Below is a list of articles and websites with helpful information on how to navigate these unprecedented and stressful times:
- Stress & Coping During the Coronavirus
- 7 science-based strategies to cope with coronavirus anxiety
- A Toolkit for Mental Health Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic
- A blog about Coping and Staying Emotionally Well During COVID-19-related School Closures