Summer Aid

Summer Financial Aid disbursement information

Deadline to apply for Summer 2023 Student Loans: July 21, 2023

Summer refund date: July 24, 2023

Summer Financial Aid information:

It is each student’s responsibility to be aware of policies, terms & conditions and deadlines set forth by Kilgore College and the Department of Education regarding any financial aid.

1. If a student has landed on financial aid suspension after the Spring term, all potential financial aid – federal or otherwise – will be removed from their account. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) processes will be run following the posting of all Spring term grades. 

(Students who are not yet on suspension, but will be following grade posting, cannot submit a Suspension Appeal until the Suspension is in place after grades are posted). 

2. In order to be eligible for any type of aid, students must enroll in at least one course for the whole summer. 

  • Full-time status for Federal Financial Aid is 12 hours of combined enrollment throughout the summer
  • Students must be enrolled in at least six financial aid eligible hours to qualify for Year-Round Pell and/or student loans per federal regulations.
  • All aid is subject to change when credit hour enrollment changes (Recalculation of Pell Process, Student’s annual budget may be adjusted due to less-than-full-time enrollment and aid may be adjusted according to that reduced budget)

3. All hours paid for by Financial Aid must fall under each student’s established degree plan. Hours that are not needed for a student’s degree will not be covered. 

4. A FAFSA or TASFA for the current academic year must be on file to be eligible for any type of summer aid, Pell or Loans. 

5. Transient students will not be eligible for the limited amount of summer aid we normally reserve for our students who are either enrolled in year-long programs, or are coming in the summer with the intention of continuing at KC in the Fall. A transient student is a student who is planning to attend KC for a summer course only. This student has attended another institution during the year and intends to return to that institution for Fall, rather than remain at KC.

6. Transfer students who did not attend KC during the Fall and Spring terms are not eligible for summer aid besides any Pell (including Year-Round Pell) and/or Direct Loans they may have remaining from the current academic year. Transfer students must submit a current FAFSA to Kilgore College to have any remaining aid awarded.

7. Students may be prevented from registering for courses if a hold is on their account. Holds may also prevent financial aid from being awarded until resolved. Students with a Return to Title IV (R2T4) amount due are not eligible for any type of funds.

8. Fund availability for students whose Pell and/or Loans have been depleted for the academic year. Scholarships are not offered during the summer.

  • Students with remaining Pell, Year-Round Pell and/or Loans that cover their expenses will have those funds awarded for summer and would not be eligible to have other summer funds applied to their account if they complete a Summer Aid Request form. Unused Pell and/or Loans will be awarded first. Students may submit an Aid Adjustment Form to request all unused Pell and/or Loan funds be moved to summer. Students who do not want remaining loans to be applied to summer must submit an Aid Adjustment Form to the Financial Aid office prior to disbursement to cancel summer loans. 
  • Funds besides Pell and Direct Loans are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • There is no guarantee of funds, nor is there a guarantee of additional funds if a student adds courses after their initial summer aid application.
  • Students will not receive a refund from summer aid funds.  Refunds can be issued if a student is using Pell and/or student loans and is eligible for a refund.
  • Students may receive less than the total balance of their charges due to limited funds.
  • Students who receive some sort of tuition assistance from outside agencies will not be eligible for the limited summer aid. These programs include, but are not limited to: DARS, WIA, veterans’ benefits that pay tuition, tuition waivers or exemptions, etc. Students who receive this assistance will have those funds applied rather than summer aid. It is up to each student to submit any required paperwork to their respective agencies for their tuition to be paid.

Year-Round Pell:

Effective in the 2017–2018 award year, eligible students may be awarded up to one and one-half Federal Pell Grants (i.e., 150% of the student's scheduled award) during a single award year.

In order to receive additional funds beyond one full scheduled award, the student must be enrolled for one or more additional payment periods during the award year that are not otherwise fully covered by the student's initial scheduled award. EX: A student enrolled full-time for Fall and full-time for Spring, and has used 100% of their initial Pell Grant award, but now intends to enroll in the Summer term.

Students utilizing the additional Pell Grant funds must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis in the payment period during which the additional Pell funds are received. Pell Grant amounts will be determined by a student’s course load. 

All Pell Grant funds received, including additional funds beyond the initial scheduled award, must be counted toward the student's overall lifetime eligibility limit of 600 percent.

For information about Summer Aid:

Financial Aid Office
Main Contact for General Questions
(903) 983-8211
Devall Student Center (DEVAL), 2nd Floor
(903) 988-7528