The purpose of the Writing Studios is to support writers in any discipline and at any stage of the writing process, thereby increasing students’ abilities to achieve their academic goals.
To advance this goal, the Writing Studio‘s professional tutors share a commitment to the following:
- Emphasizing writing as a process involving prewriting, developing and supporting a thesis, drafting, revising, and editing.
- Allowing exercise of writing skills in a supportive environment.
- Providing constructive feedback.
- Empowering writers and decreasing writing anxiety.
- Creating better writers, not just better papers.
- Equiping writers with skills that nurture effective written communication both within and beyond the walls of the Writing Studio.
NOTE: During the Summer 2019 Semester, only ENGL 0201 classes are allowed to utilize the Writing Studio services.
Kilgore campus (Watson Library)
Mondays through Thursdays: 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Longview campus (Longview North Building, Room 100)
Closed during summer sessions.
Optional Online Tutoring:
For students who are unable to attend face-to-face tutoring sessions in the Writing Studios, they may utilize Tutor.com. View instructions on How to Use Tutor.com.
NOTE: During the Spring 2019 Semester, only ENGL 0201 and QEP Pilot classes are allowed to utilize the Tutor.com services.
Writing Power Sessions:
The Writing Studio (Kilgore only) offers weekly Writing Power Sessions during the spring and fall semesters on Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. These sessions last 15 minutes and include a short overview of a grammar or writing skill followed by a brief practice. The sessions are free, and preregistration is not necessary. Proof of attendance will be provided to KC students attending workshops for Writing Studio credit. Access the schedule here.