NOTE: There are currently no emergency funds available. Feel free to apply as applications will still be considered if additional funds become available.
What is the Student Emergency Fund?
The Student Emergency Fund (SEF) offers limited emergency financial assistance to KC students with emergencies or unexpected hardships that occur during the semester. The fund serves to offset short-term financial need and is not a replacement for or supplement to financial aid. Awards are not considered loans and do not require repayment.
How much money can I receive?
The maximum annual award is $500 per student, based upon availability of funds. Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come, first served basis. The emergency funds are used to pay the request directly to the vendor.
Examples of emergencies:
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due fire, flood, theft, or natural disaster
- Emergency or temporary housing assistance
- Medication costs related to emergency medical care (not covered by insurance)
- Assistance with rent or utilities due to an emergency
- Emergency transportation
Types of expenses that are NOT covered:
- Any costs that are already covered in a need-based financial aid package (tuition and fees, standard room and board allowance, book allowance and miscellaneous expenses)
- Non-essential utilities, household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Parking tickets, court fees, or other fines
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel, or other non-essential expenses
Student emergency fund eligibility (subject to change):
To be eligible to apply for the Student Emergency Fund, you must:
- Be currently enrolled in at least 6 semester credit hours or a workforce/continuing education program (such as police academy, pharmacy technology, etc.), be in good academic and disciplinary standing, and actively attending class (attendance will be verified)
- Have completed at least one full semester at KC (this may be waived for workforce/continuing education students)
- Have not received emergency funds during the current academic year (consideration will be given if extraordinary extenuating circumstances exist)
- Have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected, critical incident
- Complete all application questions in full and submit supporting documentation, as requested
- Demonstrate that all other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient
- Have no outstanding balance owed to the College
Note: The applicant’s prior academic standing is taken into consideration during the review.
Emergency fund steps:
- Submit the Student Emergency Fund Application electronically.
- Await for the committee to review your application. The Committee’s decision will be sent to your KC email.
- Complete any additional steps outlined in the decision email.
We will make every effort to have a decision on your application within 1 to 2 days. All application decisions are final. If approved, students will be notified of the amount and method of disbursement.
Awards may range from $50 to $500. The award amount is based on need and available funding. Award availability is limited and is disbursed on a first come, first served system.
Students receiving assistance from this grant must submit receipts to the Office of Financial Aid within ten (10) days of receipt of the award. Failure to do so could prohibit use of this fund in the future.