The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (H.R. 748), also known as the CARES Act, is a law meant to address the economic fallout of the 2020 coronavirus pandemic in the United States. Within the CARES Act is the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, which provides resources directly to students affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Kilgore College received CARES Act funding to support eligible students financially impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Funding is limited and available until exhausted. Distribution of these funds will occur in three phases.
- Phase 1 – an automatic disbursement made on or around June 5, 2020 to eligible students who were impacted by the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This aid is to support the technology expenses and other cost of attendance needs of those students who had to transition from on-campus classes to online or remote learning.
- Phase 2 – an automatic disbursement made on or around June 19, 2020 to eligible students who received an incomplete grade for a Spring class due to the disruption of campus operations and are required to physically return to campus during the summer to complete the hands-on learning component of their class. Please note that students who received an incomplete grade that can be made up via online or remote learning are not eligible for this disbursement.
- Phase 3 – students impacted by the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic may apply for emergency aid grants. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. Phase 3 is ongoing until funds are exhausted.
Steps to Apply:
- Complete and submit a 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA*)
If you have already submitted a FAFSA for 2019 or 2020, step 1 is not required.
*For KC CARES Act Emergency Student Aid, you do not need to submit documentation or verification to the U. S. Department of Education (ED) after completing your FAFSA. However, you will receive communication from the ED if documents are needed or if you are missing anything in your FAFSA application. Following instructions and completing these verification steps may also make you eligible for other forms of Financial Aid.
Eligibility & Requirements:
Kilgore College must adhere to federal guidelines set forth by the U. S. Department of Education (ED). Federal guidelines for KC CARES Act Emergency Student Aid require that you “must be or could be” eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid and meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an approved degree or credential
- Be enrolled in at least one face-to-face class at KC during the 2020 Spring 16-week semester and/or the 2020 Spring 2 term
- Have expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus
- Not owe any financial aid or have defaulted on any financial aid loan, or not have been involved in any fraudulent receipt, distribution, or overpayment of financial aid funds
- Be a U.S. citizen or national, a permanent resident, or an eligible noncitizen, and have a social security number
- Be registered for the selective service (if male)
- Not have a federal or state conviction for drug possession or sale, with certain time limitations
- Be in good Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standing
Emergency Aid Disbursement Process:
All emergency aid funds are disbursed directly to eligible students as follows:
- Direct deposit – If you have a Ranger Card or have designated a personal bank account on your AccessKC account, funds will be deposited on your card or in your account. (Please see below if you need to update your banking information.)
- Paper check – A check will be mailed to your official address on file with Kilgore College if you do not have a Ranger Card or other banking information specified on your AccessKC account. For instructions on how to change your address, contact the Registrar’s Office at (903) 983-8209.
Steps for adding or changing direct deposit information:
- Step 1: Login to your AccessKC account.
- Step 2: Select Academics (top of page).
- Step 3: Select My Financial Info (left side of page).
- Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select the highlighted link below:
A message will appear stating that Herring Bank must have your correct email address on file.
- Step 5: Select Send Email (A message will appear letting you know that the request was sent to your email and it will list the email.
- Step 6: Login to your email and select the link, then enter your banking information. Your name must be on the bank account being added.
NOTE: For your security, you only have 20 minutes from the time the request is made through AccessKC to the time you enter your banking information.