The Flare, KC’s student newspaper, has been named a Crown Finalist from Columbia Scholastic Press Association in New York.
KC students received 11 Gold Circle Awards from the prestigious institution highlighting publications produced during the 2016-17 academic year.
The Crown Awards honor top student publications chosen from CSPA’s members.
Crowns are selected for overall excellence in a head-to-head comparison.
During Crown consideration, publications are judged on excellence as shown by design, photography, concept, coverage and writing.
A total of 1,100 publications were eligible for judging.
While Crowns are an overall event, CSPA has also awarded Gold Circles for individual submissions.
KC students winning Gold Circles:
- Elijah Banks: 1st place, sports page design for news publications
- Linda Grimes: Certificate of merit, photo illustration in magazine publications
- Tiffany Johnson: 2nd place, photo layout: full page; 3rd place, photography portfolio of work
- Elizabeth Lumpkin: 2nd place, photo layout -- full page
- Meaghan Morton: 2nd place, op-ed or news analysis page design for news publication; 3rd place, first person experience in news publications
- Richard Nguyen: 2nd place, photo layout – full page
- Tina Marie Reed: 2nd place, photography portfolio of work; certificate of merit - photo story for news publications
- Timothy Stuckey: 3rd place, photography portfolio of work in magazine publications
- Grant Worley: Certificate of merit, photo illustration in news publications
- The Flare Staff: 3rd place, alternative story form in news publications
The Flare’s adviser is Rachel Stallard and O. Rufus Lovett is the photography adviser.
Stallard and Lovett are co-advisers on The Flare Magazine.