The Flare, KC’s student newspaper, has been awarded a Silver Crown from Columbia Scholastic Press Association in New York.
KC journalism and photography students also received 12 Gold Circle Awards from the prestigious institution highlighting publications produced during the 2017-18 academic year.
The Crown Awards honor top student publications chosen from CSPA’s members.
Crowns are selected for overall excellence in a head-to-head comparison.
During Crown consideration, publications are judged on excellence as shown by design, photography, concept, coverage and writing.
This year, the contest attracted 4,979 yearbook and digital media entries and 6,514 print news and magazines for a total of 11,493 entries submitted in 166 categories.
While Crowns are an overall event, CSPA has also awarded Gold Circles for individual submissions.
KC students winning Gold Circles:
- Editorial Writing: Certificate of Merit, Lonnie Ross
- Personal Opinion, Off-Campus Issues: Certificate of Merit, Cassidy Daniel
- General or Humor Commentary: 3rd Place, Lucas Strough
- Alternative Story Form: 2nd Place, Sarah Redford
- Photo Story: 3rd Place, Photography Staff
- Single Feature Photograph: 3rd Place: Grace Garcia
- Single Feature Photograph: Certificate of Merit, Grant Worley
- Photo Illustration: 1st Place, Taliayah Clark
- Photo Illustration: 3rd Place, Lucas Strough
- Page One Design: 1st Place, Allison Taliaferro
- Op-Ed or News Analysis Page Design: 1st place, Sarah Redford and Lonnie Ross
- Sports Page Design: 3rd Place, Alec Reyes, Lonnie Ross and Korinne Stroud
The Flare’s adviser is Rachel Stallard and O. Rufus Lovett is the photography instructor.