Kilgore College journalism students brought home 21 awards during the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) annual competition and convention March 13-16 at the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel.
In live competition, Catie Denfeld and Jamie Hwang took 1st place in two-person photo essay; and Hwang also won 1st place in News Photography and The Flare staff received 3rd place in Best of Show for mid-sized colleges at the event.
In Previously Published – Open Division, The Flare received a 1st place in Special Edition Design Online for its Christmas 2018 edition.
The University of Texas at Arlington earned 2nd place and Texas A&M University (College Station) finished 3rd in this category.
Lucas Strough and Grant Worley received an Honorable Mention for Yearbook Cover Design in the Open Category.
In the other categories, KC competed in Division 3 (of five), and received the following awards for work submitted from the Spring and Fall 2018 semesters:
- 1st in Op/Ed Page Design: Adriana Cisneros Emerson
- 1st in Feature Page Design: Allison Taliaferro
- 2nd in Breaking News Photo: Catie Denfeld
- 2nd in Photo Illustration: Lonnie Ross
- 2nd in Sports Game Story: Rahsaan Sheppard
- 2nd in General Column: Lucas Strough
- 2nd in Op/Ed Page Design: Allison Taliaferro
- 2nd in Feature Photo: Grant Worley
- 2nd in Environmental Portrait: Grant Worley
- 3rd in Feature photo: Catie Denfeld
- 3rd in Cover Design: Newspaper- Catie Denfeld
- 3rd in Illustration: Travis Noriega
- 3rd in Sports Page Design: Alec Reyes
- 3rd in Special Design Print: Allison Taliaferro, Lucas Strough
- 3rd in Photo Story: Grant Worley, Liza Latham, Lucas Strough, Tiffany Johnson, Andrea Jimenez
- 3rd in Overall Design: Newspaper: The Flare
In the Previously Published Competition, except in “Open Division,” The Flare competed against Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Amarillo College, Angelo State, Brookhaven College, Eastfield College, The University of Houston-Clear Lake, Tarleton State-JTAC, Tarleton State-Texan News and The University of Texas at Tyler.
Adviser of The Flare is Rachel Stallard. Photography instructor is O. Rufus Lovett.
At 110 years old this year, TIPA is the oldest state collegiate press association in the nation and has grown into one of the largest and most respected collegiate groups in the country.