Upsilon Delta, the Kilgore College chapter of Sigma Kappa Delta – the national English honor society for two-year colleges – will induct 38 students qualifying for membership this spring.
The ceremony is set for 5:30 p.m. Friday, May 4, in the Devall Ballroom on the Kilgore campus.
Membership in SKD requires students to maintain a grade point average of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 scale; to earn no grade lower that a “B” in a college English class; and to have completed at least one semester of college studies.
Heather Fitch and Stephanie Laszik, English faculty members, are co-sponsors of SKD at KC.
SKD, founded in 1996 at Northern Illinois University at DeKalb, Ill., is the only national organization that recognizes academic excellence in English for community college students.
KC started its chapter in 2009 by submitting an application to the national offices and undergoing a successful review of facilities and instruction.
The SKD chapter at KC extends membership invitations to eligible students each semester.
- Diana: Jennifer Dyess and Joshua Stewart
- Gainesville: LaBeccah Davis
- Gilmer: Stephen Dunn, Natasha Watts, Marsha Mitchell and Lawan Mitchell
- Gladewater: Cullen Edwards, Melissa Hicks, Nelda Milligan-Turner and Stacey Akin
- Hallsville: Laura Eddings
- Henderson: James E. Ross, Austin Lloyd, Daniel Santana and Esmerelda Villanueva
- Hudson Oaks: Krystin Eberhard
- Jacksonville: Aryana Bosh
- Judson: Catherine Camp and Jane Camp
- Katy: Adrianna Griebe
- Kilgore: Steven Madewell, Benjamin Peralez, Jordan Fulgham and Tom Whitfield
- La Porte: Gustavo Wahlenburg IV
- Longview: Elizabeth Gillilan, Olivia Norrell, Blanca Arreola, Zachary Dovel, Priscilla Hester, Jeremias Peralta, Ambrosia Glover, Lataveous Braxton, Christopher Smith, Sayaka Komoriya and Brian Tomlinson
- Taylor: Whitney Gibbs