About the program:
- Students will learn proper venipuncture techniques. In which, the definition is the puncture of a vein as part of a medical procedure, typically to withdraw a blood sample or for an intravenous injection.
- Students completing the Phlebotomy training will test for the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians national certification.
- Additional expenses for the student are the required textbook ($165), national exam fee ($90), drug screen and background check ($46), Scantrons, clinical attire ($45 for one set of scrubs), vaccinations, documentation and CPR certification ($35) which will be taught in class.
Summer PLAB 1023 and PLAB 1060 Clinicals:
- Next class: Sept. 3 to Nov. 26, 2019
- Deadline to apply: Friday, Aug. 2, 2019
- Classroom: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Tuesdays for 13 weeks)
- Classroom: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., (Thursdays for the first 7 weeks)
- Clinical: Assigned 100 hours starting after week 7 (usually meeting Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Minimum age of 18 years old prior to first class day
- Minimum education of high school diploma or GED
Pre-application Assessments and Interview:
Prospective students must test and interview prior to submitting an application for the upcoming course:
There is a selection process to get into the Phlebotomy class, which should be started at least by the beginning of July for the Fall class. The first step is for an applicant to schedule and take the Workkeys assessment.
- Students must score 4 or higher on each of the three assessment areas to receive an interview. Workkeys assessments are given at both the Longview and Kilgore Campuses. To register for the assessment at the Kilgore campus call 903-983-8683 to register by phone for the assessments given on Wednesdays at 9 am. The fee for the assessment test is $50. To register for the assessment at the Longview campus, one must go to the campus located at 300 S. High St. and bring their Driver's License at least 24 hours in advance. Tests are given on Tuesdays at 2 pm and Thursdays at 9 am. To call for more information on the assessments at the Longview campus, call (903) 753-2050.
Students selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email.
WorkKeys assessments are given at Kilgore College Adult Education Building (Kilgore campus).
- Please call 903-983-8645 to register by phone ($50).
- Please leave a message if no one answers. You will receive a call back.
- Deadline for summer class WorkKeys submission: Students will be contacted after Project Director receives WorkKeys Assessment.
- There is no need to submit scores.
Testing is also available on the Longview campus.
- Please call (903) 753-2642 to schedule testing at KC-Longview.
Application requirements if selected:
Individuals invited to enter the program will be considered pre-admission until after providing these required documents:
- Registration form
- Copy of birth certificate or driver's license
- Copy of high school diploma, transcript or GED
- Documentation of basic or childhood immunizations
- A current negative drug test
- A current clear background check
- A current negative tuberculosis skin test
- Documentation of starting or completing the Hepatitis B vaccination
Location of Classroom Sessions:
Kilgore College Technical Vocational Building, Room 108
NOTE: For students in this course who may have a criminal background, please be advised that the background could keep you from being licensed by the State of Texas. If you have a question about your background and licensure, please speak with your faculty member or the department chair. You also have the right to request a criminal history evaluation letter from the applicable licensing agency.