Dual Credit Orientation

Welcome to Kilgore College’s dual credit orientation page. We are delighted that you are interested in getting a head start on your college education by participating in our dual credit program. While your instructor will be sharing a lot of important information with you in the classroom, this orientation is designed to answer many common questions about dual credit, notify you of important support services available to dual credit students and guide you through the transition from high school graduation to Kilgore College student.

View KC’s Dual Credit Handbook (pdf) which contains the dual credit policies and procedures.

Table of Contents:

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit is a process by which a high school student enrolls in a college course and receives academic credit for the course from both the college and the high school. In other words, a student takes one class and gets credit for it at two schools!

Students must remember that dual credit classes are college level courses. The expectations, rigor, and content of the course may differ significantly from a high school class.

In addition, dual credit differs significantly from AP courses. While both dual credit and AP courses are taught at the college level, by participating in a dual credit class you get college credit immediately upon successful completion of the course. In an AP course, you must pass the end-of-course exam to be eligible to apply for college credit once you graduate from high school. 

back to top of page

What classes can I take for Dual Credit?

Kilgore College offers a wide selection of courses to Dual Credit students at many locations and in a number of formats. Students must consult with the high school counselor about which subjects are available and the most appropriate. The most common courses have been English, Government and History. Other selections may include courses in Fine Arts, Speech, Economics, Math, Sciences, and Workforce Training areas such as Automotive Technology, Culinary Arts, and Welding Technology.

back to top of page

Attendance policy for Dual Credit students:

Dual credit courses typically follow the official Kilgore College calendar which may differ from your high school calendar. Thus, the dual credit class may meet on days when your high school classes do not (for example, a dual credit class may meet on a teacher work day when high school classes are not in session).  In college, absences are not classified as “excused” or “unexcused.” You are either in class or you are absent.

Kilgore College expects punctuality and regular class attendance. An absence is defined as a student’s not being in class for any reason. Students who are absent may miss important instruction, discussion, assignments and deadlines. Students are expected to communicate with instructors regarding their absences. Some workforce programs may have specific attendance requirements due to applicable external requirements and/or competencies; therefore, students in workforce programs should check with their instructor regarding the specific number of absences allowed. Students may be dropped for non-attendance per Federal Financial Aid requirements. Be sure to check and follow your instructor’s attendance policy as outlined in the course syllabus!

If a student is involved in extracurricular activities at a high school that cause them to miss significant class time, the student may need to move to an on-line course or explore other options.  In those situations, the student should consult with the instructor and high school counselor.

back to top of page

Kilgore College Student E-mail and Portal Information:

All students are assigned a Kilgore College email address. This is your main communication to be used for the college. Your instructors will use this email to send you important class information. The Business Office, the Registrar’s Office, and Student Services all will use your KC email to communicate with you, also.

For more information and to set up your email account, visit: https://www.kilgore.edu/current-students/e-mail-accounts

The student portal is a web-based tool for students to use in managing their educational career. In addition, it is through this portal that students log into Blackboard, KC’s online learning management system.

The portal is called AccessKC and can be accessed from the Kilgore College Homepage at www.kilgore.edu.

You have to complete an initial set-up to be able to log in to accesskc and Blackboard.  For more information, visit: https://www.kilgore.edu/node/13728.

back to top of page

Paying for Classes:

Tuition and fees must be paid by the deadlines published in each semester’s registration guide or classes will be dropped. KC has various agreements in place with school districts so students should check with their high school counselor before making a payment.  Payments may be made in various ways.  For more information, visit: https://www.kilgore.edu/about/offices/cashiers-office.

back to top of page

Dropping/Withdrawing from Dual Credit:

The grades earned in a Dual Credit class will become part of the student’s permanent college record. If a student finds that he or she is doing poorly in a Dual Credit class, he or she may wish to drop the course.

Before dropping any Dual Credit courses, discuss this with your High School Counselor as such an action may have significant consequences on your high school graduation plan.

If dropping a Dual Credit course is determined appropriate by you and your High School Counselor, the student should communicate with the Kilgore College Registrar’s Office in Kilgore or the KC-Longview office to request a drop.

It is the student’s responsibility to check the published semester calendar for the last day to drop a class and to request a withdrawal from the Registrar’s Office.

The Registrar’s Office will notify the instructor that the student has dropped the course. If the student decides to drop the course, a W will appear in the KC transcript rather than a grade.

back to top of page

Expectations and Responsibilities of a Dual Credit Student:

  1. A dual credit student is an official Kilgore College Student. As such, while taking courses through Kilgore College, dual credit students must adhere to all college policies and regulations contained in the college catalog, student handbook, class schedule, and course syllabus. 
  2. A dual credit course is a college course in all respects. The curriculum and teaching methods are the same as used in other college courses. Students will be expected to   conduct themselves as college students, and regular academic policies applicable to courses taught at the college's main campus also apply to Dual Credit courses.
  3. To prepare for college course assignments, all college students should expect to invest at   least as much time out-of-class as in-class reading and studying. All students should schedule more study time when they have an exam or when projects are due.
  4. High school courses may not address the same controversial issues or subject matter as a  college course. Dual Credit students should be prepared to participate in college level class discussions and approach controversial issues in a professional manner.
  5. The instructor is available to answer any questions a student may have. If students have any concerns about the course, their performance in the course or are not sure of an assignment, the  student should speak with the instructor.  KC has an official policy for all student complaints that must be followed: Student Complaint Policy

Complaint Form: Student Complaint Form

  1. The student should pay careful attention to the instructor’s system for assigning grades. The instructor’s grading system is covered in the course syllabus which is distributed at the beginning of each course.
  • Do not expect to repeat work in order to improve a grade.
  • Do not expect to do extra work to bring up a low grade.
  • Do not expect to receive extra credit for attendance.
  1. High school extra-curricular activities may conflict with a Dual Credit course. Students are responsible for all materials related to the course whether or not they are in class the day  the information is given or the assignment is made. Students will need to talk to their instructor to make arrangements for receiving handouts, classroom information, obtaining lecture notes, or turning in work. Parents and students should seriously discuss priorities before and during enrollment in a Dual Credit course. Keep in mind, an absence is defined as “a student not being in class”.

back to top of page

Support Services for a Dual Credit Student:

Dual Credit students are provided access to all of the support services available to any Kilgore College student. Dual credit students may also wish to speak with their instructor or high school counselor for additional support that may be available at the course location if it is not on the College campus. A summary of support services follow. A complete description with appropriate contact information is available online at https://www.kilgore.edu/current-students/student-services.

While there is no state or federal financial aid available to students who have not yet graduated from high school, dual credit students are welcome to contact our Financial Aid Office to prepare for their transition to the college following high school. https://www.kilgore.edu/future-students/student-services/financial-aid

back to top of page

ID Cards and Parking Permits for Dual Credit Students:

Student ID Card:

Student ID cards can be obtained in the Kilgore College Police Department office (Kilgore and Longview) after all fees have been paid. The ID entitles students to free athletic events, Student Activity entertainment, the Fitness Center and the health services provided by the college. The student ID is required at the library when checking out books and at the Cashier’s Office when cashing a check.

Parking Permit:

The student who plans to park a vehicle on campus must register the vehicle and obtain a parking permit. Permits are obtained from the Kilgore College Police Department. When registering a vehicle, a student must provide the license plate number of the vehicle that will be used on campus. A student parking in an unauthorized area may be issued a parking citation. A student’s vehicle will be impounded at the owner’s expense if more than three violations have been issued. For further information concerning parking/traffic violations and the payment of fines consult the Kilgore College Student Handbook.

back to top of page

Student Complaints and Appeals:

Kilgore College is committed to resolving student concerns or dissatisfaction in the most expeditious and informal manner possible. As a result, students are expected to discuss their concerns or questions with the instructor, staff member, or office area in which they are experiencing dissatisfaction.  Most issues can be resolved at this level.

For situations that cannot be resolved informally, students have the right to file a formal, written complaint. The Kilgore College Student Handbook outlines the process for filing a complaint. In addition, copies of the complaint process and form are available in the Offices of the Vice President of Instruction, the Vice President of Student Development or any of the instructional division dean’s offices.

View the KC Catalog & Student Handbook

back to top of page

Important information on Sexual Misconduct/Sexual Assault:

Sexual misconduct/sexual violence is a fundamental violation of an individual. It threatens the person's safety, well-being, educational experience, and career. The Kilgore College Sexual Misconduct Policy has been developed to ensure that a consistent procedure and coordination of College and community resources is followed in the unfortunate event of having to investigate a report sexual violence. Our policy is intended to meet the medical, legal, safety, and psychological needs of the victim and to maintain confidentiality, to the extent possible. This policy is applicable to both on- and off-campus students and College employees.

The policy also provides for measures and structures that will deal with the prevention of sexual misconduct through educational programming as well as a continuing institutional dialogue to assess services for victims.

Sexual misconduct violates the standards of conduct expected of every member of the College community and is strictly prohibited.

back to top of page

How to transition from dual credit student to college student:

While in our eyes all dual credit students are part of the KC Family, there are some specific steps you will need to take upon graduation from high school in order to transition into a full time college student. Several of these important steps include:

  • Filing for Financial Aid
  • Submitting official high school transcripts
  • Providing appropriate vaccination records
  • Attending New Student Orientation
  • Filling out and submitting the Dual Credit Transition Form

For more information, visit https://www.kilgore.edu/future-students/new-students-start-here/admissions-for-freshman-students

back to top of page

Helpful Contact Information:

Many of your questions regarding dual credit at Kilgore College may be answered by your high school counselor or the Kilgore College Dual Credit Handbook. In addition, below is a list of frequently contacted offices at Kilgore College.

  • Academic Dual Credit: (903) 988-7509
  • Workforce Dual Credit: (903) 983-8192 
  • Advising and Counseling: (903) 983-8206
  • Bookstore in Kilgore: (903) 983-8277
  • Bookstore in Longview: (903) 236-2060
  • Cashier’s Office: (903) 983-8108
  • Dual Credit Specialist/Registrar’s Office: (903) 983-8114
  • KC Police Department: (903) 983-8650
  • Library: (903) 983-8237

back to top of page