Each summer, the TRiO Fast Track Program hosts a Summer Bridge Program. The Bridge Program is designed to assist incoming high school graduates who qualify for TRiO Fast Track. The Bridge Program seeks to cultivate a diverse group of scholars and prepare them to engage actively with and meet the challenges of their first year in college. This program supports Kilgore College’s commitment to excellence by providing students with a stimulating and challenging educational experience; personalized, comprehensive advising and counseling; and an intellectually and socially enriching residential experience. The Bridge Program is a fun way to prepare incoming students for the varied demands of college life at Kilgore College.
The TRiO Fast Track Program provides a Supplemental Instruction Program. Based on the model created by Dr. Deanna Martin at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic assistance program that increases student performance and retention. SI targets traditionally difficult academic subjects, those with a high rate of D or F grades and withdrawals, and provides regularly scheduled, out-of-class, peer facilitated sessions.
The SI Leader attends all class sessions, takes notes, reads all assigned material, and conducts two to three sessions per week. Sessions integrate how-to-learn with what-to-learn. Students who attend sessions discover appropriate application of study strategies, e.g. note taking, graphic organization, questioning techniques, vocabulary acquisition, and test preparation, as they review content material. Students have the opportunity to become actively involved in the subject material as the SI Leader uses the text, supplementary readings, and lecture notes as the vehicle for learning skill instruction.
SI students earn higher subject grades and withdraw less often than non-SI participants. Also, data demonstrate higher re-enrollment and graduation rates.
How students benefit:
- SI is proactive and participatory rather than reactive and passive
- Students earn higher subject grades while they learn effective study skills
- SI provides peer collaborative learning experiences which promote assimilation into the campus culture
- SI enjoys a non-remedial image while offering academic support to all students enrolled in historically difficult subjects
- SI makes efficient use of study time
- SI provides an opportunity for students to develop relationships to other students and staff, an important factor in retention
Come in and visit with the TRiO Learning Specialist in SS 126 for more information about this exciting resource.
Kilgore College TRiO Club (KCTC):
KCTC is a student-led organization committed to community service and Service Learning. Through KCTC, students gain leadership skills, form lasting bonds with other students and members of the Kilgore College and local communities. KCTC partners with other organizations across campus, participating in such activities as:
- Community service
- Boy’s and Girl’s Club of Kilgore
- Habitat for Humanity
- Helping Hands food drive
- Raising funds for community projects and scholarships
- Textbook Lending Tree (book donations to the TRiO program)
- Homecoming Court Nominations