Kilgore College maintains the KC website (www.kilgore.edu) as a public service. The following statement applies only to members of the general public and is intended to address concerns about the types of information gathered from the public, if any, and how that information is used.
I. Notice of Personal Information
The following notice is provided in accordance with Section 559.003(a) of the Texas Government Code:
With few exceptions, you are entitled on your request to be informed about the information Kilgore College collects about you; Under Sections 552.021 and 552.023 of the Texas Government Code, you are entitled to receive and review the information; and Under Section 559.004 of the Texas Government Code, you are entitled to have Kilgore College correct information about you that is held by Kilgore College and is incorrect.
The information that Kilgore College collects will be retained and maintained as required by Texas records retention laws (Section 441.180 et. Seq. of the Texas Government Code) and rules. Different types of information are kept for different periods of time.
A "cookie" is a small file containing information that is placed on a user's computer by a web server. Typically, these files are used to enhance the user's experience of the site, to help users move between pages in a database, or to customize information for a user.
Any information that Kilgore College webservers may store in cookies is used for internal purposes only. Cookie data is not used in any way that would disclose personally identifiable information to outside parties unless Kilgore College is legally required to do so in connection with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings.
III. Logs and Network Monitoring
Kilgore College maintains log files of all access to its site and also monitors network traffic for the purposes of site management. This information is used to help diagnose problems with the server and to carry out other administrative tasks. Log analysis tools are also used to create summary statistics to determine which information is of most interest to users, to identify system problem areas, or to help determine technical requirements.
Information such as the following is collected in these files:
- Hostname: the hostname and/or IP address of the computer requesting access to the site
- User-Agent: the type of browser, its version, and the operating system of the computer requesting access.
- Referer: the web page the user came from
- System date: the date and time on the server at the time of access
- Full request: the exact request the user made
- Status: the status code the server returned, e.g., fullfilled request, file not found
- Content length: the size, in bytes, of the file sent to the user
- Method: the request method used by the browser (e.g., post, get)
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI): the location of the particular resource requested. (More commonly known as a URL.)
- Query string of the URI: anything after a question mark in a URI. For example, if a keyword search has been requested, the search word will appear in the query string.
- Protocol: the technical protocol and version used, i.e., http 1.0, ftp, etc.
The above information is not used in any way that would reveal personally identifying information to outside parties unless System Administration is legally required to do so in connection with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings.
IV. E-mail and Form Information
If a member of the general public sends Kilgore College an e-mail message or fills out a web-based form with a question or comment that contains personally identifying information, that information will only be used to respond to the request and analyze trends. The message may be redirected to another government agency or person who is better able to answer your question. Such information is not used in any way that would reveal personally identifying information to outside parties unless Kilgore College is legally required to do so in connection with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings.
This site contains links to other sites outside of Kilgore College. Kilgore College is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
This site has security measures in place to protect from loss, misuse and alteration of the information under control of Kilgore College.
Contacting the Webmaster:
If there are any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site or dealings with this website, contact the webmaster.