Financial Aid - Scholarships

Take advantage of the KC Scholarship Program.

Apply for a scholarship:

Kilgore College encourages you to apply for financial assistance through our scholarship program. A limited number of Kilgore College scholarship funds and grants are available to students who have fulfilled the scholarship criteria. Listed below are the various scholarships and the process to apply for each scholarship.


Academic and Institutional Scholarships

 Presidential Scholarships:

The Presidential Scholarship is KC’s most prestigious academic scholarship and is designed to attract academically superior students to Kilgore College.

To apply: Download application here. The student may also contact their high school counselor for an application or Beverly Davis at (903) 983-8210 or send an e-mail to

Requirements for Presidential Scholarship:

  • Incoming high school Freshman only
  • Enhanced ACT composite score of 25 or SAT composite score of 1600 or above
  • High school grade average of 92 or higher
  • High school class rank in upper 10% of graduation class
  • Scholarship covers tuition, fees, and use of books
  • Must maintain 3.3 Cumulative GPA with a minimum of 15 hours per each long semester
  • They must exhibit personal conduct in keeping with the Code of Conduct in the KC Student Handbook
  • Recipients of this award may accept other KC institutional scholarships to cover the cost of room and board in college Housing only. They may accept scholarships from outside sources
  • KC Presidential Scholarship Application (pdf)
  • Application deadline is March 1

KC Employee - Dependent Child Scholarship:

Click here for an application form (pdf)

Dependent children of full time employees may be eligible to receive an institutional scholarship in an amount equivalent to the in-district tuition and general education fee costs.  Application for this scholarship and eligibility determination must occur annually

Basic requirements for scholarship eligibility include:

  • Prospective scholarship recipients must file the annual FAFSA application and receive their SAR before scholarship eligibility can be determined.
  • NOTE: Students claiming independent status when filing their FAFSA have waived their dependency rights and are not eligible for this scholarship.  Dual credit/early admission students need not file the FAFSA.
  • “Dependent children” of full-time employees who have a minimum of one year of service at Kilgore College will be considered eligible for this scholarship.

This scholarship will have the following limitations:

  • A maximum of 62 attempted semester credit hours (or equivalent continuing education certificate hours) will be covered.
  • Typically, participants will be limited to one degree or certificate.
  • Only in-district tuition and general education fees will be paid; out-of-district fees, course specific fees, books, uniforms, supplies, etc. will not be covered.
  • This will be a non-liquidated scholarship; thus, no cash will accrue to the student.
  • Students will be required to maintain a 2.5 grade point average each semester to retain the scholarship.

In order to maintain consistency between financial aid programs, dependency must be documented through one of the following means:

  • The student is claimed as a dependent on the employee’s most recent IRS tax return; or
  • The student is covered by the employee’s Kilgore College sponsored insurance plan; or
  • The employee is currently paying child support to/on behalf of the student; or
  • The student lists dependency to the employee on his/her FAFSA application.

Employees who do not meet the eligibility requirements but who have extenuating circumstances may request a review of their eligibility status by completing a review request form.

General Institutional Scholarships:

The KC General Institutional Scholarship is based upon academic performance, and will require that the student meet the minimum grade point average and enrollment requirements as stated in an agreement letter. To apply the student may contact the Kilgore College Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at (903) 983-8210 or (903) 983-8211 or send an e-mail at or download the general scholarship.

  • Available to incoming freshman or returning students
  • ACT or SAT scores a plus in determining the scholarship recipient
  • Must maintain a 2.5 GPA with a minimum of twelve (12) hours per each long semester
  • Three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals other than relatives
  • An application for admission to KC on file in the Admissions Office
  • A copy of the high school or most recent college transcript in the Registrar’s Office (or submitted with the application)
  • The current FAFSA on file in the Financial Aid Office for the appropriate academic year
  • The monetary value varies depending on the scholarship awarded
  • Application deadline is April 1

General Institutional Scholarships include:

  • The Superintendent’s Scholarship is given to each Kilgore College in-district high school. This scholarship is awarded at the Superintendent’s discretion. $600 or more yearly
  • The Principal’s Scholarship is also given to each Kilgore College in-district high school. This scholarship is awarded at the high school principal’s discretion. $600 or more yearly
  • The Kilgore College Service Area Scholarships are given to each area high school otherwise known as Out-of-District high schools. Check with your high school counselor to determine if your school receives a KC Service Area Scholarship. $600 or more yearly
  • The Counselor’s Scholarship is awarded by high school counselors in selected service area high schools
  • The Orientation Scholarship is awarded via a drawing to a lucky student who attends an orientation session at Kilgore College. You must check with the Student Success Director, Jimmy Rieves at (903) 988-7536 to sign up for this program.
Performing Arts, Visual Arts and Communications Scholarships

Performance scholarships are given to students involved in a fine/performing arts program at KC that include: Visual Art, KC Band, Cheerleader, Communications, KC Choral/Vocal, Strings, Dance, Piano, Rangerettes, Theatre and KC Twirlers.

Visual Arts Scholarships:

The Kilgore College Art Scholarship is designed to attract students who possess outstanding talent and ability to Kilgore College. To apply the student may contact the Kilgore College Visual Arts Chairman, Larry Kitchen,(903) 983-8166 or Carolyn Fox-Hearne at (903) 983-8128 or send an e-mail to or

High school seniors must meet the following criteria.

  • Enhanced ACT composite score of 21 or SAT composite of 820 or higher.
  • High school average of 85 or higher
  • Class rank of top 50 percent

Students currently enrolled at KC must meet the following criteria:

  • Maintain a 2.5 GPA on at least 12 hours per semester
  • Be enrolled in at least one art class
  • Maintain a “B” average in all art classes
  • Application deadline is March 15

Cheerleader Scholarships:

Interested students should directly contact Melissa Haden at (903) 983-8134 or e-mail her at

  • Must be graduating senior in spring semester of application or…
  • Must maintain a 2.5 GPA with a minimum of twelve (12) hours
  • Submit a transcript for proof of eligibility in order to tryout
  • Attend workshop the day before tryouts or…
  • Compete in tryouts

Communications Scholarships:

For information on Journalism and Communication Scholarships, call (903) 983-8194 to apply.

Seniors must meet the following criteria:

  • Enhanced ACT composite score of 21 or higher or SAT composite of 900 or higher
  • High school average of 90 or higher
  • Deadline to apply is March 15
  • Currently enrolled students at KC must meet the following criteria:
  • Maintain at least a 2.75 GPA on at least 12 hours a semester
  • Be an active member of The Flare or Ranger Yearbook staff
  • Maintain at least a 3.25 GPA in all communications courses

Dance Scholarships:

  • The Dance Department at Kilgore College offers an intensive program in ballet, modern dance, tap and jazz. Interested parties should call (903) 983-8633.
  • Dance students are required to take all the dance courses offered each semester
  • Students are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA with a minimum of 12 hours
  • Students must audition in mid April
  • The scholarship is renewable for four semesters upon meeting requirements

Music Scholarships:

Kilgore College offers Band, Choral/Vocal, Strings and Piano scholarships.

All of the music programs require the following criteria:

  • Each requires participation in at least one ensemble relating to the area offering the scholarship
  • Scholarships are contingent upon the individual students’ musical accomplishments, (all region/all area/all state)
  • An audition will be set up by the respective department staff
  • Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA with at least 12 hours
  • Students’ schedule must include at least two non-music academic classes

Band scholarships:

The Band Director is Glenn Wells. Interested students should directly contact him at (903) 983-8272 or e-mail him at Band scholarships are available to incoming students with the additional criteria

  • Any student graduating in good standing from their high school bands
  • A letter of recommendation from the high school band director is required

Choral/Vocal Scholarships:

The contact person for the choral/vocal scholarship is Jim Taylor. His telephone number is (903) 983-8122 or you may e-mail him at

Piano Scholarships:

The contact person for the piano program is Sandra Siler. Her telephone number is (903) 983-8120 or you may e-mail her at

Rangerette Scholarships:

The Rangerette Director is Dana Blair. The Assistant Director is Shelley Wayne. You may contact them at (903) 983-8273 or e-mail them at and You can download a Rangerette tryout packet from the Rangerette website.

  • All Rangerette Hopefuls are required to complete Pre-Training prior to tryouts,
  • Tryouts are held in a closed session at the end of July.
  • There is a fee for room and board for pre-training. This payment is non-refundable.
  • Scholarships are awarded after pre-training to those who are selected.
  • Rangerettes must maintain a 2.5 GPA with a minimum of 12 hours.

KC Twirler Scholarships:

The KC Twirlers perform at athletic events and special performances with the KC Ranger Band. KC Twirler applications can be downloaded from the web site. The KC Twirler instructor is Paige Keitt. Call her at (903) 657-9702 or

Agricultural Scholarships:

Agricultural scholarships are available. All interested students should call (903) 834-6255.

Strings Scholarships:

The contact person for the strings ensemble is Kevin Kelley. You may contact him directly at (903) 983-8123.

Community and Agency Scholarships

Outside scholarships or “agency scholarships” are funds that are awarded to students from sources outside of Kilgore College. Examples of outside sources are the Elks Lodge, the Lions Club, School organizations, and Banks, etc. Most agencies do not send the scholarship funds to the school until the student’s proof of enrollment is provided to the scholarship donor. Proof of enrollment is the fee schedule that the student receives during class registration. Agencies usually prefer to send the student’s scholarship funds directly to the school to be credited to the students account. Academic Scholarships:

For more information, visit their website.

Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards:

Application available on their website.

Requirements for applicants:

  • Current high school JUNIOR (not seniors)
  • Plan to attend college in the 2012 Fall Semester
  • US Citizenship or US permanent residency
  • Of Hispanic/Latino descent (at least one parent)
  • Minimum 3.0 GPA ( on a 4.0 scale)  or 7.5 (on a 10.0 scale)
  • Willing to travel at own cost to the awards ceremony in your selected region

TG's Charley Wootan Grant Program:

Since 2000, TG has been proud to support a grant program designed to provide help to students pursuing a higher education and who have financial need. For the 2012-13 academic year, TG's Charley Wootan Grant program will award grants totaling $5 million. TG will award $4 million in grants to students who are Texas residents. TG will distribute $1 million in grants to students residing outside Texas. Grants within Texas will be split between students going to two-year colleges or vocational schools and students enrolled at four-year universities. scholarship opportunities

Surety Bonds, through its Small Business Success Student Scholarship program, hopes to hear all about the small business experiences young entrepreneurs across the nation have gained, whether personally or from observing family members working to make a way for themselves. Three deserving individuals will win a $1,500 scholarship to use toward furthering their education at the college or university of their choice.

The Small Business Success Student Scholarship Program is open to students in every state. All entries must be received no later than March 31, 2014, to be eligible for the contest. Applications may only be submitted online. Each student must submit a 500 to 1,000-word essay about "How small business ownership (personal, parent, grandparent, or legal guardian) has shaped you into the person you are today."

If you have any questions about or our scholarship program, you may contact me via email or via phone at 1 (800) 308-4358 ext. 210.

Campus RN - Texas Edition for Nursing Students:

The CampusRN - Texas Edition features jobs and externships from employers specifically interested in recruiting candidates in Texas. A scholarship opportunity specifically for nursing students in Texas! Content is customized so students can get all the latest Texas healthcare employment news and trends.

Scholarships for Non-Traditional Students

These scholarships are for anyone other than a brand new high school graduate. They are due April 1.

This does not include Veterans.  If you are a Veteran, please visit the Veterans Page.

Work-Study Information and Jobs Available On Campus

The Work-Study program is just one source of financial aid for college students. These on‐campus jobs are available only to Kilgore College students while they are enrolled who demonstrate financial need. In order to assess financial need, students need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The Work-Study Coordinator for KC is Rebekah Metcalf.

Work Study Jobs Currently Available:

Work Study jobs are listed on the Career Services webpage.

Please read the job descriptions carefully and submit an application for a specific position to be considered for it. Students interested in multiple positions will need to submit an application for each position in which they are interested, specifying which position the application is for on each application. Incomplete applications will be discarded. Applications will not be kept on file once a position is filled. Please submit a copy of your current class schedule with each application. Submit applications for work‐study employment in Campus Connect.

Typically, all positions are advertised “open until filled.” It is up to each student to submit an application for each position. Individual departments will contact students about interviews and conduct those interviews. Once a hiring decision is made, that department will contact Financial Aid regarding the offer of employment, and to complete the hiring process and necessary paperwork. Paperwork MUST be completed prior to the student beginning work in order to be paid on‐time and correctly.

Areas on campus which rely on student workers include:

  • KC Residence Halls
  • Student Services Offices such as: Registrar, Financial Aid, Testing, Counseling, Admissions and Housing
  • Business Office
  • Purchasing
  • Watson Library
  • Child Development Center
  • Receiving and Physical Plant
  • Computer Labs
  • KC Police Department
  • Photography Lab
  • The Flare and Ranger yearbook offices

Residence Hall Assistants:

A limited number of Residence Hall Assistants are employed through the Department of Residential Life each year. These students perform specified duties and live in the Kilgore College dormitories in exchange for a free private room and one-half of board charges. Assistants must be enrolled full time (12 hours or more), maintain a 2.0 GPA per semester, and will be required to work nights and weekends. Applications may be submitted to the Department of Residential Life located in the Devall Student Center, first floor.

Applying via Campus Connect:

  • Log-in to your Campus Connect account.
  • Under the Student Information tab, select “Review Financial Aid.”
  • On the next screen, select the correct academic year and click “View Aid.”
  • A new screen will appear. Scroll to the bottom and click on “Work Study Application” to submit the electronic application.
How to Print Your Tax Transcript Online

View the PDF instructions of how to print your Tax Transcript.

Or follow the instructions below:

  1. In your web browser, go to On the front page, under the heading marked “Tools,” click “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records.”
  2. To print your tax return transcript from the website, click the blue button that says “Get Transcript ONLINE.” In order to access this option, you must sign up for an account on the IRS website.
  3. To sign up for an account, you must provide a valid e-mail address. The IRS will send a confirmation code to the e-mail address you provide them to make sure the sign‐up isn’t fraudulent. After clicking “Send Email Confirmation Code,” log in to your email address to retrieve it. Type it in on the page marked “Step 2 of 6” to continue.
  4. The next step is simple – just enter your personal information, and indicate if you have filed taxes any time in the last seven years. For your filing status, list your filing status on your most recent tax return.
  5. The next step asks you several personal questions that a stranger would not easily know. The IRS pulls these questions and answers from previous addresses, credit reports, et cetera. This is another security safeguard to protect you from identity theft. Answer the questions by clicking the correct bubble for each.
  6. Next, you must pick a security phrase and picture. Any time you log in to the IRS web site in the future, this “site phrase” will display. This is yet another security feature – it lets you know that the website you are logging into actually belongs to the IRS and is not a look‐alike trying to steal your info.
  7. Next, we have one last security feature. Please pick three security questions from the drop‐down list provided by the web site and write their answers in the blanks. We strongly recommend picking questions whose answers will not change (ex. “What city were you born in?”) rather than ones that might change frequently (ex. “What’s your favorite TV show?”)
  8. Congratulations! Your IRS web site profile has been created, and you can now access your tax transcripts and other documents registered with the IRS. Click “Continue” to proceed.
  9. To print your tax transcript, click the “Federal Tax” button from the available bubbles listed at the top of the screen. Then, click the appropriate year under “Return Transcript.” This will open your tax transcript in a new window in “PDF” format. (You will need Adobe Reader or a similar program to open and print .PDF files, but this program is standard‐issue in almost all modern computers.)
  10. FINAL NOTE: Please note that if you had to make an amendment (correction) to your taxes after you filed them, you must also print that year’s “Record of Account Transcript,” available just to the right of the return transcript. This is necessary because the “Return Transcript” only shows the original information, not the corrections.

For information about Scholarships:

Beverly Davis
Scholarships, Texas Grants and DARS/WIA
(903) 983-8210
Devall Student Center (DSC), 2nd Floor, 230
(903) 988-7528