Disbursements occur when Kilgore College receives and applies your Pell and/or Loans to your charges. Refunds occur 14 days after aid has been applied to your account.
PRIORITY DATE: Nov. 15, 2013 is the last day a student can request, make changes or add a Federal Student Loan to their account for the FALL semester.
The deadline to request loans or make changes to loans on your account for the Spring 2014 semester is April 11. The Loan Change Form must be submitted no later than 3:45 p.m. on Friday April 11, 2014.
New 150 Percent Rule for Federal Direct Subsidized Loans:
Effective July 1, 2013, federal regulations has added a new provision to the Direct Loan requirements that limits a first-time borrower's eligibility for Direct Subsidized Loans to a period not to exceed 150% of the length of the borrower's educational program. This only applies to students who apply for Federal Student Loans for the first time beginning the Fall 2013 semester.
Kilgore College participates in the Federal guaranteed Direct Loan Program. In order to secure a federally guaranteed loan, you need to complete the Master Promissory Note and the Entrance Loan Counseling at www.studentloans.gov.
NOTE: You must also complete a Loan Request through your Campus Connect account.
Please file your FAFSA and check Campus Connect to see what documents need to be turned.
How to keep track of your loan(s):
To keep track of your loans, log into the National Student Loan Data Service at www.nslds.ed.gov using your FAFSA PIN number.
All of your Stafford Loans and Direct Loans should be listed and the contact info for each.
Students with a hold for exit loan counseling:
Stafford Loan Exit Counseling is required by the Department of Education when a student withdraws or drops below half time (6 credit hours) during a semester. If there is a hold on your account for Exit Counseling, you need to complete the Direct Loan Exit Counseling requirement on Mapping Your Future before the hold can be removed. The hold will prevent you from registering and receiving transcripts. Holds will be removed as quickly as possible but it is not automatic. The hold can only be removed when the college is open and may take up to a week to remove.
Steps to Completing the Direct Loan Process
- File your FAFSA.
- Fill out a Kilgore College admissions application if you are a new student.
- Be sure your official high school transcript or GED is on file in the Registrar's Office.
- Check Campus Connect on www.kilgore.edu to see what documents need to be submitted to complete your file.
- Submit all documents needed by the deadline of July 1st for the Fall semester.
- We will award your financial aid in the order that your file was completed.
- Check Campus Connect to view your financial aid awards, read it carefully and accept the awards you want to receive.
- Do not complete the following steps until you are absolutely sure you want a loan and will be attending at least 6 hours at Kilgore College .
- Open your browser to studentloans.gov.You will need your FAFSA pin number to sign in. If you don’t know it or don’t have one, click on Apply for Pin under Tools and Resources.
- Sign in at the top left of the screen.
- Click on Entrance Loan Counseling.
- Complete the Entrance Loan Counseling. You will need to read the information about the loans and answer the questions on each page.
- You must complete Entrance Loan Counseling before we can process your loan.
- After you have completed the Entrance Loan Counseling, click on Master Promissory Note.
- You must correctly and completely fill out your Master Promissory Note to receive the loan money.
- Provide two references that do not share the same last name, address, or phone number.
- Be sure everything is correct and submit your Master Promissory Note.
- Complete the Loan Request Form.
Federal Loans will not be disbursed until 30 days after first class day
If you have applied for a direct Federal Loan(s) and it is the first time that you have ever received a student loan, your loan(s) will not disburse to cover your charges until 30 days after the first class day. You will then receive any credit balance refund (on the loans only) 14 fourteen days after that. Also note; that if you are receiving the loan(s) for the 1st time and only one semester (ex: Fall only or Spring only) you will receive the loan credit balance in 2 payments. The 1st after the 14 days as described previously and the 2nd thirty days later.
SPRING 2014 Refund dates:
- First Refund Date: February 12th -This applies to all returning students that were enrolled and attending classes during the FALL 2013 semester - you will receive any credit balance refund of Pell, other grants, scholarships, etc, and loan credit balances. All new students and first time loan borrowers, that did not attend any college during Fall 2013, will receive a refund of credit balances for Pell, other grants, scholarships, etc.
- Second Refund Date: February 26th - First time loan borrowers who have never received student loans before and (Spring Only) students who have attended college in the past and received loans, but did not attend college during the Fall 2013 semester - will receive a refund if there is a loan credit balance after the loans apply to your charges for the 1st half of your loans.
- Third Refund Date: March 7th - First Time loan borrowers and Spring-Only students will receive the 2nd half of their loans after any remaining charges have applied to their account.
- The same rule applies to any regular student has had loans previously but now requests loan(s) for only one semester. The student will receive the first half of loan on regular refund date and the 2nd half on the above scheduled time frame.
- Fourth Refund Date: within two weeks after loans have been awarded to your account and you have accepted them. - any student that makes a change to their loans and/or requests loans be added to their account after the initial award is made, will be refunded within two weeks of accepting the loans, if this occurs after the published refund dates.
NOTE: The deadline to request loans or make changes to loans on your account for the Spring 2014 semester is April 11. The Loan Change Form must be submitted no later than 2 p.m. on Friday April 11, 2014.
Kilgore College Financial Aid Office
Phone: (903) 983-8211
FAX: (903) 988-7528
Location: Devall Student Center (DSC) 2nd Floor
Mon-Thurs: 7:45 - 5 p.m.
Friday: 7:45 - 3:45 p.m.
Kilgore College Financial Aid
Kilgore, TX 75662